Juab County Utah Gold Production
|Get regular updates on the WMH Facebook page|
Watch for Site Bulletins Here Soon!
By A. H. KOSCHMANN and M. H. BERGENDAHL - USGS 1968
Juab County, in western Utah along the Nevada boundary, is in the eastern part of the Great Basin. The most important ore deposits are in the Tintic district, in the northeastern corner of the county, where large amounts of silver, gold, lead, copper, and zinc were mined. Several other districts produced gold, but only the Tintic had an output of more than 10,000 ounces. It produced approximately 2,648,000 ounces through 1959; however, this total included production of the East Tintic district, which is contiguous with the main Tintic district but is in Utah County.
The Tintic district, which includes the East Tintic district in Utah County, is about 60 miles south of Salt Lake City in the central part of the East Tintic Mountains. Eureka, the principal town, is near the center of the area.
One of the three most important mining districts in Utah, the Tintic yielded about $428,000,000 worth of silver, lead, gold, copper, and zinc through 1959. Of the 2,648,000 ounces of gold produced through 1959, about 65 percent came from the main Tintic district and about 35 percent from the East Tintic. The principal mines were the Chief, Centennial Eureka, Mammoth, Gemini, Eureka Hill, Iron Blossom, Tintic Standard, North Lilly, and Eureka Lilly.
The first claim was located in December 1869, and the district was organized the following year. In 1870, many deposits of silver-bearing lead-carbonate ore were found but were not developed on a large scale because of poor transportation facilities. The small amounts of rich silver and gold ores that were mined in the early 1870's were shipped to smelters at San Francisco, Calif., Baltimore, Md., and Swansea, Wales. Somewhat later most of the ores were sent to Argo and Pueblo, Colo., and the Salt Lake valley, Utah, for treatment (Lindgren and Loughlin, 1919, p. 105).
Railroad transportation, which became available in the late 1870's and early 1880's, had an immediate impact on the district. In 1879 the output of the district nearly doubled; production for 1885 was valued at $1 million and for 1890, at $5 million (Lindgren and Loughlin, 1919, p. 106).
The success of the district was established by important discoveries of several concealed ore bodies. In 1881 and 1882 the Iron Blossom and Godiva ore bodies were found at depths of a few hundred feet below the surface, and the subsurface extension of the Gemini ore zone was located. In 1909, drifts on the Chief 1 mine intercepted rich silver-lead ore from the northward continuation of the Mammoth ore zone (Cook, 1957, p. 76, 77). In 1916, exploration in the East Tintic area reached its climax when the large silver-lead ore body of the Tintic Standard mine was found at a depth of more than 1,000 feet (M. B. Kildale, in Cook, 1957, p. 104).
The annual gold production in the Tintic district was relatively small through most of the 1880's, but it increased sharply in 1889, and in 1907 reached its peak of 113,000 ounces valued at $2,335,000 (V. C. Heikes, in Lindgren and Loughlin, 1919, p. 108). Except for declines during World Wars I and II, the district was active until 1957. No mining was reported in 1958 and 1959.