Elevation: 7,470 feet
The Independence mine is near the head of Independence Gulch, directly south and across the gulch from the Bonanza tunnel of the Baltimore mine. It was formerly one of the leading producers in the Hailey district, being worked intermittently from 1883 until the early nineteen twenties. In 1940 the Independence holdings came under control of the Triumph Mining Co.
The mine workings comprise several levels, four of which were entered from the surface. With a few exceptions, the workings were inaccessible at the time of the visit. For this reason no attempt was made to record the geology. For a more detailed description of the mine, the reader is referred to U.S. Geol. Survey Bull. 814, pp. 174-178.
Source: Detailed Geology of Certain Areas in the Mineral Hill and Warm Springs Districts, Blain County Idaho. Idaho Bureau of Mines and Geology, 1950