From historical landmark sign on the hotel:
The Holbrooke Hotel
The present bar of the hotel has been in continuous operation since 1852, when it was known as the Golden Gate Saloon. The wooden building had a rear extension called the Exchange Hotel and offered food and lodging by January 1853. The saloon was destroyed in the fire of 1855 and rebuilt out of fieldstone with a brick front. The Holbrooke, built 1862 had the adjacent Golden Gate Saloon incorporated in the hotel building.
California registered historical landmark no. 914